Play in our world. Live in your imagination.
The Santa Maria Valley Discovery Museum is looking for motivated, semi-professional students from various backgrounds to help museum staff with the following programs and projects:
a. Development and execution of weekly museum programs—specifically Science Saturday—with guidance from the Makerspace leadership team.
b. Development, execution, and maintenance of in-house exhibitry and equipment.
c. Administrative and marketing duties, including making phone calls, data entry, filing, and developing and monitoring social media content with guidance from the executive director and operations coordinator.
d. Working with the volunteer coordinator to cultivate, maintain, and monitor museum volunteers for special events.
The Makerspace Scout’s primary responsibility is to improve and cultivate the visitor experience in the Makerspace. Daily activity will include interacting with visitors, staff, and volunteers, checking in groups and facilitation STEAM activities, cleaning and maintaining the Makerspace areas, assisting with special events, fundraisers, meetings and any other activity or program, on or off-site, that furthers the mission of the organization.
- ·Academic backgrounds: Fine art, early childhood education, STEM fields with an intention to teach (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math), communications, finance.
- Ability to be a dynamic, outgoing leader, and communicate with visitors in a friendly and helpful way to ensure a positive visitor experience.
- Demonstrate highly developed organizational, planning, and oral communication skills and the ability to work effectively with others.
- Strong ability to organize and coordinate several tasks at once.
- Ability to communicate the written and spoken word with tact, diplomacy, and/or authority when necessary.
- Ability to lift heavy items and push a heavy cart
- Works well with children and the general public, hands-on art and design experience, engineering and/or construction experience, early childhood education experience (teaching, creating lesson plans), marketing and office experience.
- Able to speak and read Spanish not required, but preferred.
- Learn and understand how the STEAM tools work and how to utilize that knowledge to ensure that our visitors have a positive, unique, and fun experience.
- Take the lead in ensuring Makerspace tools and cabinets are clean and presentable to visitors
- Answer phones and visitor questions as needed.
- Promote memberships and special events while interacting with visitors.
- Assess needs throughout the day to replenish supplies or straighten areas.
- Accurately document daily visitor statistics and be able to accurately and neatly assist visitors with filling out membership applications, field trip requests, birthday party requests or any other communication between the museum, the Makerspace and visitors
- Assist other Makerspace Scout’s, Operations Coordinator, Program Coordinator or Executive Director with tasks as assigned.
SCHEDULE AND SALARY: This is a 16-20 hour position with an hourly wage of $16.00. Some weekends and evenings might be required. Hours vary according to scheduled events such as Field trips.
Apply at: https://hancockcollege.jobspeaker.com/#/jobboard/job/jobspeaker-sGCf3br2BgM
About the Santa Maria Valley Discovery Museum
The mission of the Santa Maria Valley Discovery Museum is to foster family and youth-inspired learning by creating experiences to explore ourselves, our valley, our world and beyond. The museum’s exhibit and program-based “please touch” atmosphere engenders the best in self-discovery for children and their families. Now in our 23rd year as the only children’s museum in Santa Barbara County, we currently serve more than 34,000 children and their families every year and we continue to grow in service and demand.
To apply for this job please visit hancockcollege.jobspeaker.com.