Play in our world. Live in your imagination.
The Operations Coordinator is responsible for ensuring the Discovery Museum’s daily operations and Program Assistants are organized and have all the resources they need to successfully improve and cultivate the visitor experience. The Operations Manager will take the lead on managing all visitor interaction including managing the Point of Sale system, organizing and coordinating membership paperwork and information, and being a first point of contact for most museum visitors.
- Positive, “can-do” attitude, flexible, team-oriented, attends to detail and shows initiative
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred, preferably experience working with children and young adults
- Experience managing employees.
- Exceptional customer services skills.
- Excellent computer skills and ability to learn new programs.
- Speak, read and write in Spanish a plus.
- Work in partnership with ED or PM to develop sustainable training practices for all Discovery Navigators.
- In partnership with ED or PM develop management practices that assure quality and continuity throughout the public use areas of the museum including all exhibits areas to ensure safety, security, cleanliness, and superior visitor experiences at all times.
- Manage the day-to-day details of the public aspect of the Museum’s operations, specifically the exhibit floor (including supervision of exhibit floor staff), admissions desk, building/ maintenance and daily public floor activities.
- ·Supervise part-time staff/volunteer work force and improve the capacity of these employees to deliver exceptional customer service
- Work with volunteers to ensure they have a meaningful and positive job experience.
- Assist in creating a team-oriented working environment and culture; inspire floor staff; find solutions to staff problems or shortfalls if possible; take the lead in making sure all staff are informed and confident about their skills and duties.
- Use point-of-sale system daily for the purposes of reporting, banking and cash management and perform opening and closing duties or oversee program staff to ensure these tasks are accomplished.
- Follow Museum policies and procedures concerning cash handling; supervise POS staff; prepare cash drawers for opening; assist with daily deposits as needed.
- Monitor supply needs for daily operations, including; maintenance, exhibit, and birthday party supplies.
- Keep floor staff current on new procedures and manuals related to programs, safety, cleaning, etc. and that provides direction for common customer service situations
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, reviews the work of all Program Assistants and advises as needed on raises or disciplinary issues. Provide job performance counseling as needed.
- Be knowledgeable of evacuation procedures during emergencies.
- Provide excellent customer service
- Oversee preparation and implementation of birthday parties, event rentals and field trips
- Act as an ambassador both at the Museum and in the local community
- Assist all staff with financial operations including, but not limited to, the management of the POS and credit card machine.
Other duties, as assigned
SCHEDULE AND SALARY: This is a 20-26 hour a week position with an hourly wage of $20.00. Some evenings and weekends are required. Hours vary according to scheduled events such as Birthday Parties.
To apply for this position, go to: https://hancockcollege.jobspeaker.com/#/jobboard/job/jobspeaker-anPptaV1MSw
About the Santa Maria Valley Discovery Museum
The mission of the Santa Maria Valley Discovery Museum is to foster family and youth-inspired learning by creating experiences to explore ourselves, our valley, our world and beyond. The museum’s exhibit and program-based “please touch” atmosphere engenders the best in self-discovery for children and their families. Now in our 23rd year as the only children’s museum in Santa Barbara County, we currently serve more than 34,000 children and their families every year and we continue to grow in service and demand.
To apply for this job please visit hancockcollege.jobspeaker.com.