Website Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation
Reports to: Director of Visitor Experience
Classification: Part-time, hourly, non-exempt (20 hours/week) Weekdays, weekends, holidays, and some evenings.
Visitor Experience Assistants are responsible for visitor orientation, admission and gift shop sales, guided tours, and hands-on demonstrations at El Presidio de Santa Bárbara State Historic Park and Casa de la Guerra. In addition to facilitating the daily operations of these historic sites and museum shops, Visitor Experience Assistants create informal education experiences for visitors.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide welcome and orientation to all visitors, as well as information on SBTHP and its programs.
- Conduct interpretive and educational programs, demonstrations, and guided tours under the direction of the Director for Visitor Experience.
- Assist with collecting visitor experience evaluations and visitor demographic information.
- Participate occasionally in SBTHPs school tours and public programs, including set up and breakdown, under the direction of SBTHP Programs Department.
- Assist with opening and closing the park and museum, including flag-raising, setting and disarming alarm systems, and locking and unlocking doors and gates.
- Conduct light maintenance tasks including dusting, sweeping, cleaning and stocking of public bathrooms.
- Handle cash and credit card transactions including admission and gift shop sales.
- Assist with gift shop restocking, displays and inventory.
- Attend appropriate staff meetings and ongoing training opportunities.
All work will be consistent with SBTHP’s Strategic Plan and in support of the organization’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Plan. SBTHP is a diverse organization with a small staff and many activities; all staff members must be versatile and cooperative in carrying out a variety of responsibilities and duties as assigned by the Director of Visitor Experience and the Associate Director for Public Engagement.
High school graduation, experience in customer service and cash handling required. Excellent communication and public speaking skills, demonstrated desire to work with the general public, high level of initiative and ability to work without constant supervision required. Solid organizational and problem-solving skills, and ability to explain complex issues, and diffuse difficult situations required. Interest and experience in informal education, history, and/or museum studies and facility with a second language preferred. Undergraduate or graduate student, or career changer with an emphasis in history, education, museum studies, public history, and/or interpretation preferred.
Start Date: May 30, 2021
Usual Schedule: Within the hours of Thursday through Sunday 10:30 AM– 4:30PM plus additional flexible hours.
A complete application form, cover letter and resume are required. Please send application package to Kevin McGarry, firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job please visit www.sbthp.org.