Website Santa Barbara School of Squash
Helping students succeed in life through squash and education
Santa Barbara School of Squash (SBSOS) is looking for a full-time Program Director.
SBSOS is year-round sports, education, and mentoring nonprofit program serving committed Santa Barbara youth (5th-12th grade) who qualify for the National School Lunch program. SBSOS pillars include squash, academic tutoring, community service, enrichment opportunities, and mentoring. We operate after school, on weekends, and during holidays. By using the sport of squash as a motivator, we guide students to realize their academic, athletic and personal potential. Our goal is for each student to graduate from high school prepared for their next step: college or to launch a career. We stay in contact with graduates as they work toward their post-high school goals and offer guidance and support through age 25. We are closely involved with each student on many levels and describe the program as “an inch wide but a mile deep”.
SBSOS Mission Statement – To help underserved students succeed in life through squash and education.
A strong candidate for the Program Director (PD) position will:
– be bilingual in Spanish and English (important to be able to communicate with parents in Spanish)
– have an Associates’ degree or higher
– have 5+ years work experience in higher education, career counseling, youth development, social work, afterschool programming, or another related field working with youth
– have 1-3 years’ management and supervisory experience
– be self-motivated and organized
– have good knowledge and understanding of the college application process
– have a valid CA driver’s license with at least 5 years of driving experience
– pass a criminal history background check
– be able to form a strong bond with the students individually and their families
– be able to motivate students to be the best student and citizen they can be
– be able to organize a room of students doing homework or a group on a field trip
– have excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
– fit in with our organization
The PD will provide programming that complies with all required regulations and ED/Board directives, and that is in line with the organization’s resources and goals. Specifically they will:
– Plan year round programs to include academic classes and squash practices, squash matches/tournaments/leagues, community service projects, summer camps and jobs program, college counseling, school vacation activities, enrichment activities and special events…and organize or take the lead on transportation and chaperoning for all these events. Note this involves some weekend travel to squash tournaments and some other weekend work.
– Maintain an accurate attendance database and collaborate with program staff for all other data collection, including grades and academic standardized tests, squash rankings, fitness tests, detailed student bios, information for quarterly progress reports, and college matriculation/graduation information
– Assist ED with correcting any SEA or other compliance requirements that are at risk
– Recruit, screen, and oversee all academic, squash, program, and community service volunteers
– Schedule volunteer time, organize or provide their training, communicate with them, record their hours and activities, and evaluate their effectiveness and reliability
– Maintain and develop close appropriate individual student relationships
– Communicate with all parents on a regular basis, and meet with them, schools, teachers, and
administrators as needed
– Attend and/or oversee teacher-parent conferences if required/needed
– Ensure timely transportation is arranged for all activities keeping these expenses in line with budget
– Maintain and develop good relationships with all sources of potential new student recruits, plan regular tryouts to ensure student numbers meet organizational goals, and maintain a waitlist of potential new students
– Assist in fundraising events, promotion of the program through networking and events, and office management
– Perform any other duties to support the organizational goals as requested by the ED
For more information about SBSOS please go to www.SBSOS.org and visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/SantaBarbaraSchoolofSquash.
For a detailed job description please contact SBSOS Executive Director, Robert Graham, at Robert @SBSOS.org.
To apply for this job email your details to Robert@SBSOS.org