Website Santa Barbara Foundation
The mission of the Santa Barbara Foundation (SBF) is to mobilize collective wisdom and philanthropic capital to build empathetic, inclusive and resilient communities.
We are seeking a full-time, exempt Executive Assistant and Board Liaison to join our team as part of the President’s Office. This position is based in Santa Barbara and will travel throughout the county as well as spend time at our Santa Maria office.
Please review our Job Description below, before applying.
All applicants must submit a professional resume, cover letter and completed copy of our employment application, in order to be considered.
This position provides direct administrative support to the President & CEO and Board of Trustees. The Executive Assistant enables seamless functioning of the office of the President & CEO and Board of Trustees.
· Serve as the first point of contact for the President by responding to telephone, email and mail inquiries from the public, trustees, and staff.
· Provide direct administrative support to the President & CEO.
· Manage CEO’s busy calendar and correspondence. Keep Outlook calendar populated as per SBF standard.
· Edit and craft well-written correspondence for the President & CEO.
· Manage constituent calls from initial contact to follow up.
· Prepare information for the President & CEO to use in internal and external meetings.
· Compile and maintain sensitive and confidential data as requested by the President & CEO, including detailed records of any legal issues involving SBF and the Board of Trustees.
· Coordinate, prepare for, and participate in meetings, conferences, and appointments, as required; serve as a representative of the President & CEO’s office at meetings and community events, as requested.
· Coordinate travel arrangements for board members and President & CEO, as required.
· Set the bar high for an effective, pragmatic and friendly approach to administrative support.
· Keep copies of legal and other critical documents and records.
· Keep accurate and up-to-date Board records and files. Keep records of officers, trustees and committees. Organize and maintain Board and committee rosters, mailing lists, and meeting minutes. Archive all documents necessary for historical data.
· In order to comply with state, federal, and other requirements, as well as the organization’s articles of incorporation and bylaws, create and maintain a current calendar of policy and key review dates.
· Provide administrative and programmatic support to the Board of Trustees.
o Work with the Board Chair to carry out their duties and board-related timeline activities.
o Plan, organize, and coordinate board and committee meetings, retreats and board-related other events.
o Provide administrative assistance to all committees of the board and serve as the primary contact by providing information, scheduling and other support.
• Assist board and committee chairs with meeting setting, meeting agendas, meeting follow up and tasks that occur in between meetings. Work with committee members to fulfil tasks, as needed.
• Capture accurate minutes of board and committee meetings and distribute appropriately.
o Arrange the logistics such as conference rooms, venues, meeting materials and food and beverage. Set up and break down the boardroom for all Foundation board, committee, and other functions, as necessary.
o Notify Board members of meetings and keep record of Board attendance. Make sure that there is a quorum at board meetings.
· Conduct general Board correspondence. Keep records of all Board correspondence.
· Ensure all Board and committee members are trained and prepared to use Board Effect and to maintain the documents in a secure, confidential manner.
· Maintain Board Effect with meeting materials, rosters, libraries and resource materials, including headlines for current articles and events.
· Coordinate and oversee board orientation and development programs, including development of resource materials.
· Coordinate recognition activities for outgoing board members for outstanding service.
· Analyze current and projected composition of Board of Trustees committees and task forces and advise President & CEO and Board Chair on committee membership to ensure demographic balance and use of trustees’ skills.
· Monitor relationships between Board Trustees and attend to any concerns by addressing them immediately; inform President & CEO when appropriate. Regularly communicate with President & CEO and Board Chair regarding concerns, agenda items, committee actions, etc.
· Coordinate Board of Trustees social events, such as annual Holiday Luncheon and other special events.
· Oversee and coordinate bookings and act as the onsite point person and event coordinator at the Foundation House.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Excellent writing skills.
· Exceptional organizational skills.
· Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Must be able to listen well and communicate in a pleasant and concise manner.
· Proficient in MS Office and especially skilled in MS Outlook.
· Ability to learn and maintain records in organizational databases such as Raiser’s Edge.
· Ability to conduct oneself in a mature manner, maintaining a professional and amiable demeanor, even when under pressure and working with tight timelines.
· Ability to think critically and analytically and use sound judgement.
· A sense of humor.
· Quick-learner who is also resourceful.
· Ability to work agreeably and effectively with diverse personalities and work styles.
· Operate with a high-level of integrity, confidentiality and discretion.
· Event planning skills.
· A willing team member and supportive colleague.
· Ability to communicate appropriately within all levels of the organization.
· Three or more years of experience in a similar position required.
· Ability to physically move quickly, sit, stand, squat, lift, and go up and down stairs carrying significant weight.
· Experience with work aligned with the mission of SBF, e.g. experience in the nonprofit/philanthropic sector preferred.
· Ability to work a flexible schedule, such as overtime, nights and weekends, sometimes consecutively.
· Previous experience working with a Board of Trustees or Board of Directors.
· General office environment.
· Telecommuting – ability to provide own modem, router and internet connection.
· Open office space or office area with door.
· Dogs on the premises, weekly. See our pet policy for more information.
· Significant telephone and computer work (repetitive movement – typing).
· Regular driving travel within the county and occasional travel outside of the county (via car or plane).
· Frequent sitting, standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting/pushing of light to heavy loads (10lbs. to more than 50 lbs.).
Please note that due to COVID-19 this position, along with the rest of our staff, will partially telecommute until it is safe for all staff to return to our offices.
At SBF, we value wellness and offer a very generous benefits package, including: up to 15 days of PTO in the first year of employment, thirteen holidays, sick time, 401K with 4% matching in the first year and an additional 6% of profit sharing after one-year anniversary, fully paid medical and ancillary benefits and more!
All applicants are required to submit an employment application, a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls or paper submissions.
To apply for this job please visit www.sbfoundation.org.