Supporting people in living the life they choose
If you have a caring heart and a passion for helping others, then PathPoint may be the place for you! Join us and make a difference in your community every day.
PathPoint is currently seeking part-time Direct Support Professionals to join our Independent Living Services team in Santa Barbara, CA. In this role, you’ll you will teach independent living skills to adults with developmental disabilities in their homes. This could include cooking and grocery shopping, healthy living and exercise, budgeting and money management, scheduling medical appointments and coordinating benefits, or other skills depending on the individual’s personal goals. This position is part-time for up to 29 hours per week with a flexible schedule.
Why Work At PathPoint:
- Culture of kindness, compassion and respect
- Opportunity to make a difference in your community every day
- $250 hiring bonus and 4-8 hours of Wellness Time (Mental Health Day) for job offers accepted by July 31, 2021, earned after 60 days of employment
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance*
- Paid vacation starting at 2 weeks per year*
- Paid sick leave
- 10 paid holidays*
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts*
- Voluntary wellness program with cash rewards
- Employee Assistance Program
- Housing Assistance Program
- Referral Bonus Program
*Benefits noted with an asterisk are for full-time employees regularly scheduled for 30+ hours per week.
- Teach a variety of independent living skills, including cooking, laundry, paying bills, budgeting, emergency preparedness, shopping, and hygiene.
- Assist individuals with their benefits and healthcare, including applying for new benefits or services. Serve as liaison between individuals and Social Security, Housing Authority, rental agencies, utility companies, etc.
- Assist individuals in scheduling medical appointments and escort to appointments as needed.
- Prepare meals and snacks with individuals.
- Actively participate in meetings and discussions regarding each individual’s progress.
- Maintain daily logs and data reports.
- Compassionate, patient, and positive-minded
- High school diploma or GED is required. BA/BS in Education, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, or a related field is preferred.
- Previous experience working with individuals with disabilities as a caregiver or DSP is desirable but not required. If you are interested in this job but do not have directly relevant experience, we’d still love to hear from you!
- Must pass pre-employment Live Scan DOJ fingerprint background check, TB screening and basic health screening.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record, be eligible for coverage on PathPoint’s auto insurance policy, and have use of a vehicle with current registration and insurance.
- Ability to perform the physical activities associated with the position, including, but not limited to walking, standing, sitting, stooping, bending and lifting up to 40 pounds.
Compensation and Benefit Package: $15.00-$15.40 per hour. Benefits for part-time employees include paid sick time; 403(b) retirement plan with employer match; wellness program with cash rewards; free Employee Assistance Program; and housing assistance.
About PathPoint: PathPoint, a non-profit organization based in Santa Barbara, supports people in living the life they choose. PathPoint partners with people with disabilities, people with mental health diagnoses, and young adults to pursue their hopes and dreams through strengthening workplace abilities, building life skills, and developing meaningful relationships. Founded in 1964, it offers services in five Central Coast and Southern California counties: Kern, Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.