Website Music Academy of the West
Position: Audience Services Associate
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Status: Seasonal, Part-time, Non-Exempt
Employment Period: June 7 – August 7
The Audience Services Associate is responsible as assigned for either ticketing and/or Front of House operations for events occurring at the Music Academy of the West. The Audience Services Associate works closely with other relevant staff to ensure successful, polished event flow. This position reports to the Director of Audience Experience & Engagement.
• Coordinates with Ticket Office, Back-of-House, and other management to ensure a seamless run of show
• Ensures program book sheets, program books, inserts, and/or sponsor recognition assets are available at each event
• Prepares for and acts as primary contact in case of emergency
• Supervises ushers and volunteers, quickly addresses any performance issues in a thoughtful, positive manner
• Processes single ticket and subscription orders, providing individual attention to patrons to ensure they have the correct tickets
• Processes and reports return ticket donations
• Obtains correct and complete patron information for all transactions
• Keeps an orderly and professional environment/workstation in which to greet the public and conduct business
• Assures that posters and brochures describing upcoming events are current, on display, and readily available to patrons
• Sets the standard for attentive, courteous, and sincere customer service – both for internal and external clients
• Maintains professional, polite, and positive presentation at all times
• Receives, resolves, and follows-through on any questions or customer service issues
Other duties may be assigned.
The Music Academy of the West values diverse colleagues who thrive in a collaborative, highly communicative workplace. Our administration collectively informs and agrees upon the organization’s expectations for teamwork, including a positive, goal-oriented environment that positions every employee for success.
The ideal candidate has exceptional people skills and attention to detail, is comfortable and effective leading a team of ushers, can handle high volumes of people while maintaining outstanding customer service, and is familiar with classical music. The successful candidate will be accurate, focused, thorough, and perceptive.
Note that the Music Academy looks to fill multiple Audience Services Associate positions. Responsibilities will be assigned based on the strengths and experience of the selected candidates.
• Bachelor’s degree (or degree in progress) in Music, Marketing, Communications, or related field
• Passion for producing varied events at the highest possible level
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, supervisory, and communications skills
• Experience in sales, retail, and/or customer-facing roles preferred
• Ability to work on a team and adapt to changing work priorities
• Comfort with computers and ability to learn new programs quickly
• Knowledge of classical music a plus
• Nights and weekends will be required.
Compensation and Benefits:
The Audience Services Associate is a part-time, temporary position and does not include employee benefits such as health insurance, vacation, or pay for sick days.
This is a non-exempt, temporary position with an hourly rate of $15-$18 per hour commensurate with experience. Temporary employees are entitled to accrue sick leave as per California state law. No other benefits are included.
Please email a letter of interest and current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the Subject Header MAW Audience Services Associate. No phone calls, please. A background screening will be performed as a condition of employment.
The Music Academy of the West is an equal opportunity employer. We aim to create a diverse and inclusive work environment and we value each employee’s unique experiences and perspectives.
About Music Academy of the West:
Music Academy of the West is a performance-based training center and incubator that empowers musicians to positively impact society. The Academy welcomes everyone from across all generations, cultures, and backgrounds to experience the transformative power of music. Based in Santa Barbara, California, the Academy presents the preeminent full-scholarship Summer School and Festival for classically trained fellows ages 18 to 34. They study and perform with more than 50 exceptional faculty and teaching artists, while forging close connections with the community. The Academy’s commitment to long-term collaborations and exchanges with leading orchestras and opera companies results in unparalleled mentorship and career-advancing prospects. The Innovation Institute explores entrepreneurship and envisions classical music’s future in seminars, residencies, and the Alumni Enterprise Awards, substantial grants given annually for a wide range of creative projects. Launched in 2018, Sing!, a free, after-school choral program for local elementary students inspires personal growth and expression. For more information, please visit musicacademy.org.