Website Music Academy of the West
Title: Buildings & Grounds Technician
Department: Buildings & Grounds
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
The Buildings and Grounds Technician reports to the Director of Facilities and assists in the daily and long-range maintenance and care of all campus facilities. The Buildings & Grounds Technician also supports staff and visitors with various on-site needs, especially during the 8-week Summer Festival. This is an essential job function which requires in-person work during periods of social distancing.
• Complete tasks accurately, thoroughly, and with an eye towards quality, aesthetics, preservation of our historic property, and creating a welcoming and safe environment for our community.
• Daily walk throughs of campus to identify areas in need of repair or cleaning, to report to the Director of Facilities.
• Provide on-site assistance for Academy and non-Academy activities, including event set-up, breakdown, and after-hours on-call troubleshooting as needed.
• Perform daily repair and maintenance projects including but not limited to changing light bulbs/fixtures, interior and exterior painting, general carpentry, general plumbing, general mechanical upkeep, and clean-up.
• Conduct periodic quality checks on equipment and systems and troubleshoot as needed.
• Update the Buildings & Grounds daily, monthly, and periodic checklists to monitor regular facilities operations.
• Assist with security monitoring and emergency response as needed.
• Coordinate and maintain janitorial supplies, tools, and equipment
• Schedule annual maintenance and upkeep of Academy vehicles.
• Assist in moving small to medium-sized furniture and other objects.
• Assist with implementing and enforcing COVID safety protocols as needed.
The required physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: regularly stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; frequently talk and/or hear; occasionally sit; frequently squat, stoop, or kneel, reach above the head and reach forward; daily use hand strength to grasp tools, supplies and equipment; occasionally climb ladders; frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
The Music Academy of the West values diverse colleagues who thrive in a collaborative, highly communicative workplace. Our administration collectively informs and agrees upon the organization’s expectations for teamwork, including a positive, goal-oriented environment that positions every employee for success.
The successful candidate will ideally demonstrate some, if not all, of the following:
• Have at least 2 years of maintenance experience.
• Have strong technical skills including carpentry, painting, plumbing, and general maintenance.
• Have strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
• Have strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively.
• Be physically capable and be able to safely lift 50 pounds and lift and/or move up to 100lbs with assistance.
• Be available to work overtime including some weekends, public holidays, and evenings.
• Have a valid U.S. driver’s license
Benefits and Compensation:
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Hourly rate is $18-25/hr commensurate with experience. We provide a comprehensive benefit package for full-time employees, which includes health and dental coverage, life insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, and a 403(b) plan.
The Music Academy of the West is an equal opportunity employer. A background screening will be performed as a condition of employment.
Please email a letter of interest and current resume to email@example.com, using the Subject Header MAW Buildings & Grounds Technician. No phone calls, please. A background screening will be performed as a condition of employment.
The Music Academy of the West is an equal opportunity employer. We aim to create a diverse and inclusive work environment and we value each employee’s unique experiences and perspectives.
Music Academy of the West Overview:
Music Academy of the West is a performance-based training center and incubator that empowers musicians to positively impact society. The Academy welcomes everyone from across all generations, cultures, and backgrounds to experience the transformative power of music. Based in Santa Barbara, California, the Academy presents the preeminent full-scholarship Summer School and Festival for classically trained fellows ages 18 to 34. They study and perform with more than 50 exceptional faculty and teaching artists, while forging close connections with the community. The Academy’s commitment to long-term collaborations and exchanges with leading orchestras and opera companies results in unparalleled mentorship and career-advancing prospects. The Innovation Institute spearheads entrepreneurial training and ventures through seminars, residencies, and the Alumni Enterprise Awards, substantial grants given annually for a wide range of creative projects. Launched in 2018, Sing!, a free, after-school choral program for local elementary students inspires personal growth and expression. For more information, please visit musicacademy.org.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org