MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation® is dedicated to igniting learning through interactive experiences in science and creativity. Located in the heart of Santa Barbara’s redeveloped tourist area at 125 State Street, the museum is LEED-certified Gold and serves guests of all ages through its hands-on exhibits and education programs. MOXI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization generously supported by its daily guests, members, facility rentals and donations from individuals, foundations, and corporate partners.
MOXI is a collaborative, creative, and fun place to work. Our team is guided by a set of core values that help create a culture where work and play need not be mutually exclusive. We are playful. We are collaborative. We are experimenters – we take risks and we embrace failure. We believe diversity is critical to creativity. We are MOXI. For more information, visit moxi.org.
MOXI seeks a Director of Marketing and Communications to play a critical role in advancing MOXI’s mission. This position will be responsible for managing the reputation and brand of the museum through its various marketing and communication channels as well as onsite. This includes shaping the strategy and content of all advertising and promotions, public relations, media outreach and response, website and social media profiles, environmental graphics, signage and other branded items. The director will work with the president/CEO to ensure MOXI’s brand and public messages align with the organization’s strategic initiatives and goals. The director will work across departments to implement tactics and creative campaigns to drive museum attendance, membership, fundraising, event and program registration/attendance, and facility rentals. This position requires excellent strategic thinking with proven success in marketing, advertising and public relations. The director will manage a team of creative, enthusiastic staff and freelance vendor partners who assist the director in implementing a comprehensive marketing and communications plan for all aspects of the museum’s business.
- Responsible for overall brand and reputation management across owned, earned and paid media.
- Help meet revenue goals for attendance, membership, contributions, facility rentals and programs.
- Provide written and verbal communications leadership, advice and counsel to leadership team and all staff, both proactive and reactive, internal and external.
- Create and implement paid advertising plan/budget annually.
- Manage content creation, creative design and release or distribution of all online content, press releases, advertisements (print, broadcast, online, OOH, and more).
- Develop strategies, creative briefs, and oversee all aspects of production of all print and online collateral including an annual report, fundraising appeals, education programs marketing and more.
- Oversee development, installation and maintenance of all environmental graphics, safety and directional signage, and other onsite signage to ensure consistency with MOXI’s brand and compliance with safety and facilities requirements.
- Serve as primary point of contact for all press/media inquiries and manage all responses, occasionally acting as spokesperson when needed or assisting appropriate spokesperson with their response.
- Ensure and manage timely, accurate, consistent and error-free responses to customer inquiries and/or feedback via social media.
- Keep current on marketing industry trends and opportunities and assess when and how to incorporate them into MOXI’s plans and/or processes.
- Work with leadership team during times of crisis on emergency response communication
- Be an inclusive leader who values and acts to advance diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion as they work with community members, internal staff, and external stakeholders.
- Manage all financial and operational aspects of the Marketing and Communications Department: develop annual budgets and meet revenue and expense commitments with respect to the budget. Prepare periodic budget revisions and other financial reports as requested.
- Support a culture of cross-organization communication, collaboration and information sharing.
- Other duties as assigned
Marketing and Graphic Production Specialist, contractors
Required Skills and Abilities
- Proven success in planning and implementing marketing, advertising, and public relations strategies.
- Experience developing and managing an annual budget in excess of $100,000
- Excellent command of the English language with proper grammar, syntax and spelling
- Experience managing vendor and/or professional contractor relationships and workflow
- Experience with website CMS
- Experience with email service provider software (e.g., Constant Contact, MailChimp, etc.)
- Familiarity with POS and/or CRM systems (Blackbaud, Altru, etc.)
- Proficient in social media platform management
- Experience with Google Analytics
- Knowledge of appropriate metrics and means to track results and/or measure effectiveness of marketing and communications campaigns
- Keen attention to detail and ability to think holistically and strategically about approaches to work
- Ability to organize and prioritize varied tasks in a manner that most effectively serves the needs of the organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills; must be receptive to the ideas of others and able to work cooperatively to prioritize tasks and accommodate many different and conflicting concerns.
- Passion for creating a world-class museum that is recognized as a truly outstanding educational experience.
- Enthusiasm for working in an organization where change is frequent, structure is evolving, and flexibility, teamwork, and good humor are absolute necessities.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn new systems and adapt with emerging technologies.
- Awareness of issues relating to access and inclusion and the ability to build inclusive and accessible programs.
- Spanish fluency a plus
Previous Experience Required
A minimum of 7 years’ experience planning and successfully implementing marketing, advertising and public relations strategies with proven ability to increase brand visibility, meet or exceed sales goals, and/or attendance.
· Bachelor’s degree (required) in Communications, Business, Marketing, Public Relations or related field (preferred)
This position requires the ability to:
· Applicant must be able to bend, squat, lift push/pull up to 20 lbs.
· Schedule and availability reflect that the organization is a 7-day a week operation, with periodic early morning and evening programs
· Monitor and respond to social media messages/content outside of work hours as needed
· Regular predictable attendance is required
· Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Employment background/criminal check is required
This position is full-time, exempt with an annual salary budgeted at $75,000 to $85,000.
Benefits include paid time off, health insurance, vision, dental, disability, life insurance, FSA and retirement plan offering.
Send a cover letter and resume.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com