MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation® is dedicated to igniting learning through interactive experiences in science and creativity. Located in the heart of Santa Barbara’s redeveloped tourist area at 125 State Street, the museum is LEED-certified Gold and serves guests of all ages through its hands-on exhibits and education programs. MOXI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization generously supported by its daily guests, members, facility rentals and donations from individuals, foundations and corporate partners.
MOXI is a collaborative, creative, and fun place to work. Our team is guided by a set of core values that help create a culture where work and play need not be mutually exclusive. We are playful. We are collaborative. We are experimenters – we take risks and we embrace failure. We believe diversity is critical to creativity. We are MOXI. For more information, visit moxi.org.
MOXI seeks an Events Manager to play a critical role in advancing MOXI’s mission. This position will be responsible for the facility rental program for external clients and lead team member in collaboratively planning and executing internal events. The facility rental program is designed to attract a broad variety of audiences, generate a significant portion of the Museum’s earned revenue, and provide the opportunity for cultivation and stewardship of current and potential donors.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for working in a public museum setting, will have an enthusiasm for working in a dynamic organization where change is frequent, is solutions oriented, flexible by nature and enjoys working in a collaborative team environment. In addition, the ideal candidate will support a culture of cross-organization communication, collaboration, and information sharing.
- Actively solicit external clients and strategize ways to present MOXI widely as an events venue.
- Respond in a timely manner to all inquiries and oversee site visits.
- Deliver excellent customer service for external clients and vendors during all stages of planning and while executing events at MOXI.
- Create and manage an annual facility rental budget; track and provide explanation for monthly financial results. Responsible for meeting revenue goals approved by the Board of Directors.
- Coordinate all uses of the Museum spaces by outside groups and thoroughly explain on-site catering options, best uses of space, and ensure that clients understand MOXI regulations and procedures prior to booking an event.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with outside vendors and manage all external event details, including determining needs such as security, facilities, guest services staff, etc.
- Alert museum staff of events in advance by posting external events to museum-wide calendar and timely submission of event memos, formal security requests, staffing requests, and purchase order requests.
- Work with marketing and communications team to develop marketing, advertising, and public relations materials for event space rentals.
- Create contracts and manage agreements, invoices, and reconciliations.
- Perform key functions for the planning and coordination of MOXI-hosted special events, including exhibition openings, fundraising events, private and corporate-hosted events including managing event logistics and soliciting in kind support.
- Ensure that MOXI complies with all legal requirements, such as city ordinances and COVID protocols, for an event and keep our neighbors in mind when planning and implementing events to ensure we are seen as a ‘good neighbor.’
- Periodically support the daily operations of the museum with Manager on Duty shifts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
● Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications and experience using a customer relations management system.
● Outstanding writing and presentation skills.
● Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills in order to meet with a wide variety of clients, donors and museum staff.
● Solid understanding of the events manager’s function within the fundraising department.
● Work schedule will vary from season to season.
● This position requires consistent weekend work and does include evenings and major holidays.
Previous Experience Required
● Minimum three years of experience selling and coordinating special events for a cultural organization or equivalent; familiarity with catering, rentals, menu selection and hosting site visits.
● Experience creating and negotiating contracts, invoices, and preparing and managing budgets.
· Bachelor’s or associate degree preferred.
· This position requires the ability to work all contracted evening events, five days/week onsite, be highly organized and prompt, work with multiple technologies, troubleshoot and problem solve, and communicate effectively and courteously with a variety of people verbally and in writing.
· Applicant must be able to bend, squat, lift push/pull up to 40 lbs.
· Schedule and availability reflect that the organization is a 7-day a week operation, with periodic early morning and regular evening programs.
· Regular predictable attendance is required.
· Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to allow individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Employment background/criminal check is required.
How to Apply
To be considered, all applicants must submit a cover letter and resume.
Mail: 125 State Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
MOXI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.
To apply for this job email your details to Amanda.email@example.com