CEC advances rapid and equitable solutions to the climate crisis
Job Announcement: Executive Assistant and Board Liaison
Status: Full-time, Non-exempt
Posted: August 2021
Applications Due: Position will remain open until filled
Reports to: Director of Administration and Operations
About Community Environmental Council:
CEC is a fast-paced nonprofit based in Santa Barbara and serving the California
Central Coast, with a reputation for positive social change and community
engagement. Since 1970, CEC has incubated and innovated real life
environmental solutions that directly affect the region.
With its current focus on promoting rapid and equitable solutions to the climate
crisis, CEC is known for organizing the Santa Barbara Earth Day Festival,
advancing 100% renewable energy goals, and developing campaigns to #gosolar,
#driveless, #driveclean #ditchplastic, and #rethinkfood. CEC’s primary
objectives are to: 1) Achieve carbon zero communities; 2) Promote nature-based
solutions to draw down legacy emissions; and 3) Protect against unavoidable
The CEC team is a highly committed and energetic group, with an internal
culture that values collaboration, ongoing learning, and innovation. CEC seeks
to activate people of every age, race, ethnicity, and economic status in community
planning, political action, personal behavior change, and climate leadership.
About the Position:
CEC is seeking an Executive Assistant to execute a variety of administrative
activities and implement special projects as requested. The position provides
direct daily support to the Chief Executive Officer and serves as the CEO’s
liaison to the Board of Directors and other key partners. In addition to
supporting the CEO and all Board committees, the Executive Assistant is
responsible for the orderly operation of some of the organization’s general
administrative tasks, and periodically attends and assists with the coordination
and facilitation of meetings and events.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide sophisticated calendar management for the CEO and Board.
Prioritize inquiries and requests, and make judgements and
recommendations to ensure smooth day-to-day engagements. Anticipate
needs in advance of meetings, events, etc.
- Work closely with the CEO on incoming commitments, concerns and
responsibilities.. Act as an organizational “barometer,” gauging issues
taking place in the CEC environment and troubleshooting as needed.
- Research, prioritize, and follow up on items addressed to the executive
office, and determine the appropriate course of action, referral, or
- Serve as the primary liaison to the Board of Directors, Board committees,
President’s Council and Partnership Council as requested.
- Prepare meeting agendas, reference packets, other files and informational
documents, and prepare draft and final minutes of all CEC Board of
Directors meetings and specific Board committee meetings as requested.
- Monitor and manage CEC’s on-boarding and off-boarding process for the
Board of Directors, President’s Council and Partnership Council.
- Prepare written correspondence on behalf of the Chief Executive Officer
and Board as requested.
- Prepare expense reports on behalf of the Chief Executive Officer.
- Implement special projects as requested by the Chief Executive Officer.
- Attend meetings with staff, consultants, Board Committees, President’s
Council and/or Partnership Council as needed.
- Support the CEO in fund development efforts that include:
project/program-specific summary and progress reports, grant
applications, and preparation, composition, execution of additional
- Assist with some HR administration and select projects as needed.
- Schedule, attend, and contribute to the execution of staff meetings, annual
staff retreats, and occasional special events.
- Answer CEC’s main phone line and voicemail and respond to general
- A wide array of educational experiences will be considered.
- Minimum of four (4) years of professional experience, including at least
two years in an office environment.
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills, with demonstrated
ability to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated
ability to write professional correspondence.
- Desired experience working closely with Boards of Directors or other
body of high functioning volunteers.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and Google Workspace programs.
Job Status and Compensation:
- 40 hours/week
- Non-exempt position
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefits include:
o Two weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, and an additional paid
week off between Christmas and New Year’s Day
o Health, dental and life insurance
o Optional retirement plan with employer match up to 3% of salary
(after a qualifying period)
- Somewhat flexible hours; work may include evenings and weekends
- This full-time position will be based out of our office in Santa Barbara,
Applications will be considered until the position is filled. To apply, please
submit a cover letter and resume (pdf or link) with an email subject line that
indicates “Executive Assistant and Board Liaison Application” to:
Assistant to the Executive Director
CEC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate
based on gender identity, sexual orientation, race, nationality, or physical ability.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org