Website Braille Institute of America, Inc.
Braille Institute of America, Inc. is a private, nonprofit organization whose mission is to transform the lives of those with vision loss. Through educational training, programs and services, Braille Institute helps people regain and maintain their independence through six regional centers (Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Anaheim, Laguna Hills, Coachella Valley, and San Diego) and through more than 300 community outreach locations. Each year, Braille Institute serves more than 37,000 people of all ages and demonstrates that vision rehabilitation is a beginning, not an end.
We are currently are seeking a Youth Instructor at our Santa Barbara Center. This position is responsible for:
- Teaching various subjects and/or independent living skills to the visually impaired
- Conducting seminars and workshops throughout the region for families, caregivers, and professionals to better assist the visually impaired
- Promoting independent living;
- Oversees, coordinates, and implements youth programs designed to support pre-determined key development areas
- Ensuring a safe environment is maintained at all ties during programs and activities;
- Assist in the design and development of course curriculum
- Overseeing Youth Assistants including training
- Providing general work direction and reviewing work assignments to ensure program goals are achieved
- Establishing and maintaining positive business relationships with parents, teachers, and community members as appropriate
- Meets with students, their families and teachers as may be needed to evaluate the student’s abilities and interest in programs.
- A two (2) or four (4) year college degree in a designated field of expertise is preferred
Master’s degree is desirable;
- At least five (5) or more years of experience in a designated filed
- Thorough knowledge of the subject matter taught is required; basic knowledge of the disease of the eye, visual impairments, adaptive tools, and technologies is preferred
- May require conversational knowledge of another language
- Experience with the visually impaired is preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish is required
Braille Institute is an equal opportunity employer (EEOC). We offer an excellent environment and a comprehensive benefits package. Qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org