Website Braille Institute of America, Inc.
Braille Institute of America, Inc. is a private, nonprofit organization whose mission is to transform the lives of those with vision loss. Through educational training, programs and services, Braille Institute helps people regain and maintain their independence through six regional centers (Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Anaheim, Laguna Hills, Coachella Valley, and San Diego) and through more than 300 community outreach locations. Each year, Braille Institute serves more than 37,000 people of all ages and demonstrates that vision rehabilitation is a beginning, not an end.
We currently are seeking an Access Technology Specialist I at our Santa Barbara Center. This position is responsible for:
- Instructing and training visually impaired students in basic use of computers and adaptive technology
- Teaching classes for the visually impaired on use of various computer technologies, including keyboard training, effective use of voice activated software, screen readers and mainstream technologies
- Researching and develops curriculum and most effective methods of instruction based on students’ abilities
- Conducting individual consultations with students as needed to determine skills levels, needs and abilities.
- Making recommendations for instructional programs and equipment to meet needs of students with a wide variety of skills, abilities, and needs
- Preparing classrooms for students
- Assures proper functioning of technology and equipment
- Troubleshooting problems or notifies appropriate staff of more complex problems with equipment, software, and related technology
- Documenting students progress
- Preparing reports for management and others as requested
- Maintaining current knowledge of computer software and adaptive and mainstream technology for the visually impaired
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required. A four-year degree is desirable
- Strong knowledge of computer basics, and various adaptive and mainstream technologies is preferred
- Position requires good communication, computer, and training skills
- The ability to effectively train visually impaired students with a wide variety of skills and abilities is essential
- At least 1 years of experience working with the visually impaired and work experience with technology instruction is strongly preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com