News Media Contact:
Public Works Department – Water Agency
Tuesday, April 28, 2015
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Public Invited to Attend Free Water Wise Landscaping Workshops
Classes Will Focus on Water Efficient Gardening Techniques
The Santa Barbara County Water Agency is announcing a series of four Water Wise Landscaping Workshops that will be held between May 16 and June 6, 2015. These three-hour classes will introduce homeowners, residents and business owners to the fundamentals of creating gardens and landscapes that thrive in our semi-arid climate and use limited water resources wisely while looking beautiful all year round. Workshops will be held on the following dates:
● Saturday, May 16: 9am – 12pm: The Dick DeWees Community & Senior Center, 1120 W. Ocean Ave, Lompoc.
● Friday, May 29: 6pm – 9pm: Faulkner Gallery, Santa Barbara Public Library, 40 E. Anapamu Street, Santa Barbara.
● Saturday, May 30: 9am – 12pm: Public Library, 421 S. McClelland St., Santa Maria.
● Saturday, June 6: 9am – 12pm: Legion Wing of Solvang Veterans Memorial Hall, 1745 Mission Dr., Solvang.
All Water Wise Landscaping Workshops will be presented by Green Gardens Group (G3), an educational organization whose qualified trainers provide an interactive and fact-filled overview of how to develop a successful California-Friendly Garden. Workshops will cover the following latest sustainable materials and techniques:
● Understanding your garden as a mini-watershed
● Creating a living soil sponge that holds onto water
● Treating rainwater as a resource
● Removing turf without chemicals
● Selecting the right plants for the right place
● Managing irrigation to eliminate waste and runoff
● and more.